BHSU Travel Request Manual

Personal Car

  • If a state vehicle is available but the employee chooses to drive a personal vehicle, the employee shall be paid at the rate of $.20  per mile.
  • If a state vehicle is not available, the employee shall be paid in lieu of actual expenses of transportation.  The pay will be at $.37 per mile for use of privately owned automobiles when engaged in official business outside city limits of their designated posts of duty or place of service.
  • The rate covering mileage submitted from the odometer is deemed to cover all expenses incidental to operation of an automobile such as gasoline, oil, tires, repairs, insurance, meters, etc.
  • Driving personal or state vehicles will be allowed meals and lodging up to two (2) days each way for travel between their home base and their business destination.
  • If travel is by airline, a maximum travel period of one day is allowed before and after a meeting.
  • Allowable car mileage for out-of-state travel will not exceed the cost of the most economical commercial airfare available.
  • All personal car use must have the prior approval of the Vice President for Finance & Administration.
Share this: E-mail | Bookmark |

The South Dakota State Board of Finance establishes regulations and travel rates that govern all travel by state employees regardless of sources of funding. This manual has been compiled from these regulations to aid university employees in the preparation of a travel request and a travel payment detail. Examples of completed payment detail forms are available on the second worksheet of the in-state and out-of-state spreadsheet forms.

Please note that there are maximum limits to reimbursement for meals, lodging and transportation that are established by the South Dakota State Board of Finance. Travelers should be aware of these limits to avoid problems when submitting travel payment details forms.

Ordinary travel requests should be completed at least five (5) working days prior to travel. Requests for:

should be done at least four (4) weeks prior to the date of travel or registration deadline.

This office is available to answer any questions concerning the travel regulations and travel payment detail forms for in-state or out-of state travel.  Contact 642-6566.

All university employees must be aware that if they book airfare and lodging with a internet provider that the receipt provided by the company must contain breakdown of airline cost, lodging cost per night and itemized taxes charged. A lump sum receipt does not satisfy the requirements of receipt for the State Auditor’s Office.