BHSU Travel Request Manual

Out-of-State Travel

Out-of-State travel requires prior approval of the unit's budget person and the President of the University or the President’s designee. Forms for requesting travel are available by clicking here or the Budget Office and must be completed five days prior to travel. Where practicable, if more than one employee is traveling to the same site, travel should be coordinated. If a faculty or staff member is requested to attend a meeting as a representative of the University, all allowable expenses will be paid at the state rate.

For officers and employees traveling on official state business shall be computed on the following schedule:

  • Lodging Out-of-State shall be $150.00 plus an additional $100.00 at the discretion of the University head. Under no circumstances can lodging reimbursement exceed actual cost.
  • A state employee may be reimbursed at higher rates than the applicable out-of-state for travel, lodging, or meals if it is determined that the higher rates would result in a savings to the state. Requests for prior approval for expenses of higher rates shall be submitted to the Budget Office prior to travel.  The Budget Office will obtain the necessary approval, from the state auditor, and notify the requestor.  Prior approval of travel expenses is required if a state employee is to be reimbursed at higher rates.
  • For use of a privately owned trailer house for sleeping accommodations while on in-state or out-of-state official state travel, an allowance of $4 a day plus parking fees and electricity costs is allowed. The total amount may not exceed $13 a day. 
  • Allowance for Meals:
    • Breakfast-$8.00
    • Lunch-$11.00
    • Dinner-$17.00
    • or a maximum of $36.00
  • Meals allowable:
    • Breakfast
      When leaving before: 5:31 am
      When returning after: 7:59 am
    • Lunch
      When leaving before: 11:31 am
      When returning after: 12:59 pm
    • Dinner
      When leaving before: 5:31 pm
      When returning after: 7:59 pm
Share this: E-mail | Bookmark |

The South Dakota State Board of Finance establishes regulations and travel rates that govern all travel by state employees regardless of sources of funding. This manual has been compiled from these regulations to aid university employees in the preparation of a travel request and a travel payment detail. Examples of completed payment detail forms are available on the second worksheet of the in-state and out-of-state spreadsheet forms.

Please note that there are maximum limits to reimbursement for meals, lodging and transportation that are established by the South Dakota State Board of Finance. Travelers should be aware of these limits to avoid problems when submitting travel payment details forms.

Ordinary travel requests should be completed at least five (5) working days prior to travel. Requests for:

should be done at least four (4) weeks prior to the date of travel or registration deadline.

This office is available to answer any questions concerning the travel regulations and travel payment detail forms for in-state or out-of state travel.  Contact 642-6566.

All university employees must be aware that if they book airfare and lodging with a internet provider that the receipt provided by the company must contain breakdown of airline cost, lodging cost per night and itemized taxes charged. A lump sum receipt does not satisfy the requirements of receipt for the State Auditor’s Office.