February 17, 2010
Black Hills State University Faculty Senate Minutes
Meier Hall Rm. 127
Members present: Randy Royer, (President), Laura Colmenero-Chilberg (Secretary), Jim Hesson, Parthasarathi Nag, Gina Gibson, Chen Wu, David Crawford, Sasha Pursley
3:15 PM -- Senate called to order. Agenda was approved. Minutes for the 12/09/09 were not available and their approval was tabled until the March meeting. Minutes from the 1/27/10 meeting were approved with minor changes. Pursley made the motion to approve. Nag seconded the motion. Approved.
• Meeting with President Schallenkamp: The president has asked that faculty identify the non-faculty duties they are engaging in. She would like to see what she could do to help us. Faculty senators should brainstorm ideas, talk to other faculty, and report their results.
• Academic Council: Dr. Myers was concerned that the BOR spends $1 million on administering and scoring the IDEA but we are not following the rules. He will bring this up with the Academic Affairs Council.
• Miscellaneous: Mary Jones has class during the meeting time this semester so she will be asked to find a replacement for the semester. A thank you to Jami Stone for leading last month’s meeting when Randy was unable to attend.
• Experiential Learning: Dr. Kristi Pearce presented on the new method of accreditation through HLC and the president’s new focus on experiential learning.
• Security: Myron Sullivan reported on parking and other security issues.
• Dr. Myers’ Retirement: Dr. Nag made a motion to purchase a plaque and write a letter of thanks to Dr. Myers on his retirement. Dr. Pursley seconded the motion. Approved Dr. Royer will check on the funding for this as well as the appropriate time to present it.
• Distinguished Faculty Award: A low number of nominations had been submitted as of this meeting.
Next meeting will be March 3, 2010.
5 PM. Senate meeting adjourned
Respectfully submitted by Laura Colmenero-Chilberg
Faculty Senate Secretary