In the evening on Friday, June 28, Microsoft will upgrade the student email system at Black Hills State University from Live@edu to Office 365. With this upgrade, BHSU can provide a set of powerful email, web, and collaboration tools that can help you work faster and gain skills for the workplace. Microsoft Office 365 has your favorite Office features online and allows you to create sophisticated reports and presentations, collaborate in real time with classmates, and share and edit documents from your phone, PC, or Mac.
What does this mean to you:
After the upgrade you’ll have two different accounts:
- Office 365. This account gives you access to your school email. Use the same user name and password you use to log in to the campus computers.
- Personal Microsoft account. This personal account will give you access to all your existing OneDrive content, Messenger, and other Microsoft services. You’ll use the same user name and password to access this account that you do today to access Live@edu (i.e., email@example.com email). Note that BHSU no longer administers this account. As a result, we can’t reset its password for you.
This video explains how your accounts will work after the upgrade.
What should you expect:
- Email. We’ll continue to use Microsoft Outlook Web App or Microsoft Outlook to view and send email, but you will sign in at a different website.
- File sharing. We’ll use SharePoint Online for sharing files. We’ll use Office Web Apps for creating and reading documents.
- Instant messaging and online meetings. We’ll use Lync Online for both instant messaging and online meetings.
What do you need to do:
Complete the following steps:
- If you’re using Internet Explorer 6, upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer.
- If you use Microsoft Outlook to read your email and are using Microsoft Office 2003, you’ll need to update to Office Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010 to continue using Outlook.
- After the upgrade:
- Your email password will be the same as what you use to log in to campus computers or the L Drive. If you have never used a campus computer or the L Drive, you can retrieve your password from the Login Help webpage: http://www.bhsu.edu/loginhelp.
- Once you have the password you can access your email at this location: http://outlook.com/yellowjackets.bhsu.edu.
- Update your email password in any email apps (including Outlook) you use on your computer, tablet, or mobile phone to match your new Office 365 password.
- Sign in to your personal OneDrive using your previous Live@edu user name and password.
- Bookmark these addresses:
- Outlook Web App for email and calendar access (BHSU resources): http://outlook.com/yellowjackets.bhsu.edu;
- SkyDrive and Messenger (personal Microsoft account): http://skydrive.com.
More Information and Support
- For general information about the upgrade, see Microsoft’s Checklist for users.
- If you have questions or need assistance with your account, contact the BHSU HelpDesk at (605) 642-6580 or by email at BHSUHelpdesk@bhsu.edu.