Who is eligible?
Independent undergraduate who do not qualify in whole or in part for a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan. Graduate students only qualify for Direct Unsubsidized Loan beginning July 1, 2012.
How do I apply?
BHSU will send you an award letter indicating your maximum Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan eligibility and will provide you with instructions on how to apply -- refer to Award Handbook. If questions, contact the Financial Aid Office.
- The combination of subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans cannot exceed:
- Freshman -- $9,500
- Sophomore -- $10,500
- Junior/Senior -- $12,500
- Grad year -- $20,500
- Cumulative Totals:
- $57,500 undergraduates
- $138,500 graduate and professionals.
Cost & Fees
- up to 1.10% fee on each loan.
- Interest begins at time of disbursement. Students are encouraged to make interest payments while in school, however, they can let the interest capitalize making the loan an extremely higher loan. Interest rate for undergraduate students was 3.86% on July 1, 2013; graduate students were 5.41% on July 1, 2013. New interest rates to be determined July 1 of each July 1st.
- Interest begins accruing from the date the funds are disbursed. The borrower may make the interest payment or have them capitalized. Payments may be deferred up to six months after graduation, withdrawal, or dropping below half-time enrollment. $50 minimum monthly payment; 10-year maximum repayment period.
- Repayment with Direct Loans, contact your servicer which can be found at www.nslds.ed.gov, plus your total federal loan borrowings are listed.