Out-of-State travel requires prior approval of the unit's budget person and the President of the University or the President’s designee. Forms for requesting travel are available by clicking here or the Budget Office and must be completed five days prior to travel. Where practicable, if more than one employee is traveling to the same site, travel should be coordinated. If a faculty or staff member is requested to attend a meeting as a representative of the University, all allowable expenses will be paid at the state rate.
For officers and employees traveling on official state business shall be computed on the following schedule:
- Lodging Out-of-State shall be $150.00 plus an additional $100.00 at the discretion of the University head. Under no circumstances can lodging reimbursement exceed actual cost. Effective July 1, 2015, the reimbursement shall be up to $175.00 per day. Authorization may be approved up to $100 per day for lodging provided the total amount does not exceed the actual cost of lodging.
- A state employee may be reimbursed at higher rates than the applicable out-of-state for travel, lodging, or meals if it is determined that the higher rates would result in a savings to the state. Requests for prior approval for expenses of higher rates shall be submitted to the Budget Office prior to travel. The Budget Office will obtain the necessary approval, from the state auditor, and notify the requestor. Prior approval of travel expenses is required if a state employee is to be reimbursed at higher rates.
- For use of a privately owned trailer house for sleeping accommodations while on in-state or out-of-state official state travel, an allowance of $4 a day plus parking fees and electricity costs is allowed. The total amount may not exceed $13 a day. Effective July 1, 2015, the allowance is $8.00 per day plus parking fees and electricity costs, with the total not exceeding $26.00 per day.
- Allowance for Meals:
- Breakfast-$8.00, effective July 1, 2015 - $10.00
- Lunch-$11.00, effective July 1, 2015 - $14.00
- Dinner-$17.00, effective July 1, 2015 - $21.00
- or a maximum of $36.00, effective July 1, 2015 - $45.00
- Meals allowable:
When leaving before: 5:31 am
When returning after: 7:59 am
When leaving before: 11:31 am
When returning after: 12:59 pm
When leaving before: 5:31 pm
When returning after: 7:59 pm