How to insert and edit a table.
This article will explain how to insert and edit a table. These instructions are for administrative, page and module editors though page and module editors may see some differences when they are logged in. If you are having difficulties logging in or need username and password information, please contact WebTraining@bhsu.edu for assistance. Below you will find the written instructions, a printable file for your convenience and you can watch a short video as well.
Note: Tables should be used for DATA, not photos.
- Start on the page where you want your table to be and in the HTML module you want the table to be in. Click Edit Content
- In the Rich Text Editor, click Insert/Edit Table.
- In the Table Properties window, set the properties of the table.
Some of the properties are explained below.
- Rows: Horizontal spaces
- Columns: Vertical spaces
This allows you to set a header in your table – it can be the first row, first column, or both. This is useful when displaying large amounts of data.
- Border size:
The default for this is 1 but it should be manually set to 0. Otherwise the tables get an unappealing, old fashioned feel to them – so, unless that was your intent, you should set the Border size to 0.
This is where you want your table to be positioned on the page - Left, Center, or Right.
The default width is set to 200 pixels. This measurement can be in pixels or percent.
This property can be set manually or it will adjust with the amount of information that is added to the table.
- Cell spacing:
Cell spacing puts some space between the cells and the border of the table.
- Cell padding:
Cell padding puts some space between the border of the cell and the text.
The caption is the title of the table – it is centered on top of the outside of the table. This is useful when more than one table on a page displays different information.
Note: It is important to realize that tables can look different in different browsers.
- When you have all of your settings the way you want them, click OK.
- If you want to adjust a table’s settings after you have already made a table, just right-click on the table and click Table Properties. This will bring back up the Table Properties box. Adjust your settings and click OK.
NOTE: You can also add or delete rows, columns, or single cells by right-clicking on the table. Under Cell, Row, or Column there are settings to insert or delete cells, rows, or columns.
- To change the color of a cell, right-click on the table and select Cell > Cell Properties.
- In the Cell Properties window you can change many aspects of a cell. Mainly, this is for changing the color of a cell.
- If you know the hexadecimal code for the color you need, you can type it in or click on Select…
This brings up the Select Color window. Here, you can either click on the color you want or you can type in the hexadecimal code.
Click OK on the Select Color box and click OK on the Cell Properties box to change the color of a cell.
Do you want to print out the instructions? Download a printable version of How to insert and edit a table.
If you have questions about this or any other posting, please feel free to contact us.