posted on November 18, 2009 09:28
October 14, 2009
Black Hills State University Faculty Senate Minutes
Meier Hall 3127
Members present: Randy Royer (Pres.), Jami Stone (VP), Laura Colmenero-Chilberg (Secretary), Parthasarathi Nag, Gina Gibson, Len Austin, David Crawford, Chen Wu, Leonard Jacobs
3:15 PM -- Senate called to order. Agenda was approved with minor changes (Stone moved to approve and Nag seconded the motion). Minutes were approved with minor changes. (Stone moved to accept. Hesson seconded the motion)
Dr. Mary Jones (who was unable to attend) was formally welcomed.
• The print version of a university catalog is still being worked out.
• Faculty Senate committee membership was finalized.
• With Scott Ahola as the new Library Director, it is assumed that the Library Committee will have new focus.
• Programs with fewer than 25 graduates in four years were discussed. This is an ongoing concern.
• The Civility Clause was determined to be purposely vague and ambiguous and part of the BOR/COHE contract so not under our purview.
• Leonard Jacobs reported on Student Senate’s Residence Hall meetings and invited faculty to attend. Some concern was expressed that a faculty presence might limit student’s ability to freely discuss issues of concern. Other issues of concern to Student Senate include the trayless Marketplace, the unenforced tobacco policy, and technology issues.
• Faculty Senate marshals are needed for Winter Commencement. Jim Hesson, Jami Stone and Gina Gibson all volunteered. Mary Jones will be asked if she is interested.
• President Royer and Vice President Stone’s meeting with President Schallenkamp was moved to October 21. Salary, Appendix F/PSE’s with Exceeds Expectations were topics to be discussed.
• President Royer would be attending the President’s Advisory Committee to discuss the University Strategic Plan.
• Curriculum Change proposals need to be made starting with departmental approval. This is an ongoing problem.
• Arbitrary changes in technology were discussed, in particular, the soon to disappear overhead projectors. It was generally agreed that there is a lack of communication with faculty about the importance of the different forms of technology. The high cost of the transition to new modes of technology was also a concern.
• Next meeting will be October 28, 2009.
4:51 PM. Senate meeting adjourned
Respectfully submitted by Laura Colmenero-Chilberg
Faculty Senate Secretary