posted on September 10, 2009 09:22
Black Hills State University will induct six individuals and one team into the 2009 Yellow Jacket Hall of Fame during the annual Swarm Days activities next week.
Steph Kelley, Mark Larscheid, Josh McNames, and Robert (Bob) Templeton will be inducted as athletes; Louise Achenbach as a coach; and Mary Larscheid-Christensen as a contributor. The 1978 baseball team will also be inducted.
Steph Kelley, Class of '98, is being honored for her accomplishments as a member of the BHSU women’s basketball team. Her records include:
• National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) All-American Scholar Athlete (senior year)
• BHSU record for career steals (203)
• All-Conference selection all four years
• BHSU record for single-game blocked shots (12)
• BHSU record for single-game free throw percentage – 100% (tied with one other)
• 1,632 points scored in her career (third most in history)
• First Team All-Tournament at the NAIA National Tournament in 1997
Mark Larscheid, Class of '73, is being inducted posthumously for his achievements in track and football while at BHSU. Larscheid ‘s accomplishments include:
• South Dakota Intercollegiate Conference (SDIC) 120-Yard High Hurdles Champion in 1973 (14.6)
• Second place in SDIC 120-Yard High Hurdles in 1972 behind teammate Randy Graves
• Third place in SDIC 120-Yard High Hurdles in 1971
Josh McNames, Class of '99, is being recognized for his athletic accomplishments while playing men’s basketball at BHSU. His records include:
• BHSU record for most assists in a single game (15)
• BHSU record for career assists (232)
• NAIA Honorable Mention All-American in 1998
• First Team All-SDIC in 1998 and 1999
• NAIA Second Team All-American in 1999
• Member of the BHSU All-Century Men’s Basketball Team
Bob Templeton, Class of '73, is being inducted for his basketball and football achievements at BHSU. His accomplishments include:
• First Team All-Conference as defensive back in 1972
• Lettered in football in 1969, 1970, 1971 and 1972
• Started four years as defensive back
• Member of the 1970 SDIC champion football team
• Intercepted a pass and ran it back for a touchdown to win the game and clinch the 1970 SDIC title (first one for BH in 35 years)
• Member of the 1970 defense that was ranked nationally
• 1972 Honorable Mention All-District 12 as defensive back
Louise Achenbach, Class of ‘70, earned two teaching degrees from BHSU. Upon graduation, she entered the coaching profession as a tennis coach at a high school in California although she never played tennis a day in her life. Louise had the students run track the first day for “conditioning exercises” while she read a book on tennis rules and regulations. She spent 32 years coaching tennis, basketball, softball, and volleyball. Her volleyball teams brought home 29 championships, and she was named Volleyball League Coach of the Year 17 times. Louise was also inducted into the California State Coaches Hall of Fame.
Mary Larscheid-Christensen, Class of '73, is being recognized for her generous support of BHSU through the coordination of a golf tournament each summer in memory of her late husband Mark. All of the proceeds go to a track and field scholarship in Mark’s name at BHSU. The annual tournament has raised over $20,000.
The 1978 baseball team won the SDIC Championship in 1978 with an 11-5 record, winning the league by four games and leading conference with a team .344 batting average. The team’s overall record was 29-8, a single season record for victories. There were seven players from the team selected All-Conference and three were selected Honorable Mention All-Conference. In the front row, left to right, are Steve Thorn, Roger Riley, Grant Capoferri, Randy Nicholas, Les Gunnare, Dwight Gunnare, and Mark Chapman; middle row, left to right, are Kevin Nowotny, Joe Krier, Clark Gusso. Paul Hayashino, Dick Fisher, Darrell Hardcastle, Mark Lawler, Craig Fryman, Craig Crosswait, and Coach Cliff Papik; back row, left to right, are T.J. Ringgaard, Terry Hopkin, Matt Henkener, Steve Naasz, Mike West, Dan Adams, Nevin Jacobs, Dennis Gran, and Dann Schwinger (not pictured- Ed Blewett).
Tickets for the Yellow Jacket Hall of Fame Banquet are sold out. For more information please contact the BHSU alumni office at 642-6385.