Now is the time to make sure you are on the path to success! The Center for Academic Success has prepared a Fall Semester Checklist that will guide you. You can stop by our office, Woodburn Hall, first floor, or schedule an appointment if you need assistance. Our hours are 7 am to 5 pm, Monday - Friday. Contact us at 605.642.6106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall Semester Checklist
Each semester has its own unique challenges.
Pay special attention to the following:
ATTEND ALL CLASSES and COMPLETE ALL ASSIGNMENTS ON TIME.
- Notify your professors of any absences (past or upcoming).
- Absences could jeopardize grades AND financial aid.
- Research shows that absent students score lower GPAs.
Always strive to maintain the highest grade point average (GPA).
- You must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA (2.6 GPA for Elem. Ed. majors) to stay in good academic standing. Some Scholarship students have higher GPA requirements based on scholarship type.
- Students currently on academic probation are required to meet immediately with an advisor in the Center for Academic Success to draw up a Probation Contract. Call 642-6106 to schedule an appointment. Rapid City students can contact Carol Thomas at 718-4197, or visit her in the University Center. Do not delay!
- For an excellent student success resource page, visit www.studygs.net.
Check your BHSU email DAILY - email@example.com
- BHSU EMAIL IS YOUR OFFICIAL BHSU INFORMATION SOURCE!
~ In your “yellowjackets” email, you will receive valuable information from your instructors and BHSU departments and offices as well as useful information about upcoming activities.
- Contact the Computer Help Center at 642-6580, Library 003, or email BHSUHelpDesk@BHSU.edu if you have any questions.
Familiarize yourself with WebAdvisor in preparation for Pre-registration.
- Log on to WebAdvisor (for Current Students) at the BHSU website to do the following:
~ Click on “My Profile” to verify your current contact information; find out who your academic advisor is and how to contact them.
~ Click on “My Registration Time” to see your registration date and time. The Spring 2012 registration dates will be posted in October.
~ Click on “My Restrictions” to find out if you have any restrictions/holds, which might prevent your registration. Please clear any restrictions as soon as possible.
~ Explore your Financial Profile to see your billing and to learn how to use South Dakota online pay (SDePay).
Meet with your academic advisor by October 15th.
- Discuss your academic and personal goals.
- Develop your two-or four-year Plan of Study.
- Find the Status Sheet for your major at www.BHSU.edu; Search Status Sheet in A-Z Site.
- Draw up your Spring 2012 schedule before your registration date. You can also register for Summer 2012 classes at this time.
- Student Support Services students should call (605) 642-6824. Rapid City students can contact the University Center at (605) 718-4117 for advisement information and services.
Refer to the BHSU Academic Catalog often.
- The BHSU academic catalog is online at the BHSU website. To view the catalog, go to: www.BHSU.edu/Catalog Click on the appropriate year under either undergraduate or graduate.
Meet with Career Center staff to develop your career plans and job search—especially May graduates.
- Call the BHSU Career Center at (605) 642-6277 to schedule your appointment.
- Rapid City students can contact Carol Thomas at the University Center at (605) 718-4197.
Attend or participate in at least one university-sponsored event this semester.
If you have any questions, please contact the Black Hills State University Center for Academic Success at (605) 642-6106, Woodburn Annex. Rapid City students can contact Carol Thomas at the University Center at (605) 718-4197, in the University Center.
We are here to assist in your success!