Faculty Senate Minutes
October 20th, 2010
Approved November 3, 2010
Present – Kathleen Parrow, Jami Stone, Mary Jones, Parthasarathi Nag, Jim Hesson, Chen Wu, Adam Bailey, Nancy Roberts, Chris Opitz, Sasha Pursley, Sonya Pagel,
Faculty attendee - Micheline Hickenbotham
Called to order 3:20
Agenda approved with additions
Revision of minutes needed for approval at next meeting.
- Curriculum Handbook revision needs update from BOR webpage for completion
- Warren Wilson and Provost Haney discussed issues with tech support. Wilson summarized the reported issues as:
- September outage – current equipment is being upgraded and replaced including new and back up storage
- Help Desk – currently staffed by one fulltime person and seven students. Discussed procedure to file a work order online or call 6580 for assistance, antivirus update, upgrading wireless access in residence halls.
- Classroom technology – Discussed goal to ensure all classrooms have same technology, use and support of newer technology by all faculty, a troubleshooting workshop was suggested, contact Department Chair for requests for migration of current teaching materials to digital technology, campus wireless is being upgraded over the next year, and D2L will not be available to students before the first day of class.
- Purchasing replacement cycles – Discussed the five year expected life cycle of Gateways and replacement of those at that five year point, looking at other options in labs for replacements, Departments or College budgets should cover computer purchases but a onetime funding request may be made through the Chairs and Deans to the Academic Affairs Office.
Adjourned at 4:40
Minutes recorded and submitted by Mary Jones, Faculty Senate Secretary