The Office of Civic Engagement (OCE) at Black Hills State University serves as the volunteerism resource office on campus. The office also houses information on area non-profits, and this information is open to all members of the BHSU campus. Office activities include organizing and promoting volunteer events that encourage service in the BHSU and Spearfish community. In addition to these events, we are a link between BHSU and the Northern Hills community.
Programs and opportunities available to students interested in service, volunteerism, and civic engagement include:
- Alternative Breaks
- Volunteer Fair
- National Days of Service, including Make A Difference Day and Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Red Shirt Table Cultural Holiday Exchange
- Career Opportunities in a wide range of service programs
- International Opportunities
- Community Training Opportunities
The goals of the Office of Civic Engagement are to evaluate the existing service in the Spearfish community while making an assessment of the needs, problems and issues, and then showing the community how to make a concrete difference.
In accordance with these goals, the Black Hills State University Office of Civic Engagement is committed to:
- connecting volunteers to the community
- providing a sustainable resource to the community
- developing an awareness of the needs of community members/groups
- incorporating service into the Black Hills State University student experience through organizing community service events and providing service-learning assistance to faculty and staff on campus.
Volunteer Coordinator/AmeriCorps VISTA