Listed below are outside scholarships opportunities available to students attending the University Center-Rapid City. Click on the scholarship title for requirements, guidelines, and how to apply.
The Rapid City Foundation Scholarship is possible because of the original contribution establishing the Foundation, which is now the Black Hills Area Community Foundation. Scholarships are awarded in partnership with the Rapid City Area Chamber of Commerce.
Scholarships are awarded to Rapid City residents who are pursuing further education to advance their busines skills in order to successfully participate in the business sector of Rapid City. Approximately six to ten awards will be made. Awards will typically be $500 or $1000 scholarships paid directly to the student's institution. Application Instructions
- Applicant must be a resident of Rapid City and either:
- a graduating senior in a Rapid City area high school pursuing further education in Fall 2015; or
- have lived in Rapid City for the past twelve months (as of April 15th) and will be enrolled in the Fall 2015 as a student in a Rapid City area post-secondary educational institution.
- Applicant must plan to attend an accredited, post-secondary educational institution located in Rapid City.
- Applicant must demonstrate a desire to pursue further education that will advance their skills in order to successfully participate in the business sector of Rapid City.
- Applicants must submit an official completed and signed scholarship application no later than April 15, 2015. A completed application includes the following:
- Recommendation Form
- Application Form
- Summary of community/church/extra-curricular activities during the past four years
- Summary of work and/or volunteer experience over the past four years
- Written essay of no more than 500 words describing your education plans and career goals. The essay should address how you plan to contribute to Rapid City's economy and business community in the future
- Copy of high school or college transcript
This scholarship is available to undergraduate students who are in their final two years of post-secondary education pursuing one of the Critical Teaching Need areas below:
- Teaching K-12 special education in a public, private or parochial school
- Teaching high school math or science in a public, private or parochial school
- Teaching high school career and technical education in a public, private or parochial school
Students that apply and are awarded the scholarship in-turn if accept sign a promissory note agreeing to work in one of the teaching fields above for a timeframe of 5 years in South Dakota after graduating from a participating post-secondary institution. All accredited South Dakota public and non-public post-secondary institutions which offer a baccalaureate degree in elementary or secondary education are eligible to participate in the scholarship program. Application are due April 15, 2015.
Ellsworth Officers' and Civilians' Spouses' Club (EOCSC) 2016-2017 Scholarship
- About: The Ellsworth Officers' and Civilians' Spouses' Club (EOCSC) offers merit-based scholarships to eligible military and civilian spouses who will begin undergraduate studies at an accredited college or university during the 2016-2017 academic school year.
- Requirements: Selection criteria will include the following: academic achievement, work experience, community/volunteer activities, leadership roles, special interests/hobbies, personal/educational goals, and essay. Student must be the non-military spouse (or widow/widower) of one of the following: Active duty U.S. military personnel assigned or attached to Ellsworth Air Force Base (AFB), Active duty Air National Guard or U.S. Reservist personnel assigned or attached to Ellsworth AFB as of 2014, A retired U.S. military personnel who resides in the Ellsworth AFB area, Active duty U.S. military personnel serving in a remote assignment whose dependents reside in the Ellsworth AFB area, Civil Service working at Ellsworth AFB who holds a valid government identification card, or a deceased military member whose dependent resides in the Ellsworth AFB area.
- Deadline: Wednesday, February 17, 2016
Wells Fargo Veterans Scholarship Program
Applications for the scholarship program are being accepted through February 29, 2016. Awards will be made to honorably discharged veterans or spouses of disabled veterans who are high school or GED graduates. Renewable scholarships for up to $10,000 per year will be granted, determined by financial need and consideration of academic performance, work experience, leadership and community service, and challenges to completing a postsecondary program. Each award renewal will increase by $1,000 over the previous year to encourage program completion for each recipient. http://wellsfargovets.scholarsapply.org/
Wells Fargo Veterans Emergency Grant Program
Emergency grants are available on an ongoing basis for eligible veterans who are enrolled in postsecondary education and experience unexpected financial difficulties that might cause them to drop out of school. Grants will be available for a one-time distribution up to $1,000 based on the cost of the emergency need, such as rent, utilities, daycare and medical expenses. There is no application deadline, but grants will be awarded on an ongoing basis until funds are exhausted. http://wellsfargovets.scholarsapply.org/
American Association of University Women
The Rapid City AAUW Success Award provides stipends up to $500 for local women and girls as they strive to improve their lives through education. The financial support from the stipend can be used to defray a wide array of education costs such as tuition, gas, books, babysitting fees, etc. The help requested should adhere to the mission of the AAUW.
Click here for the scholarship application
South Dakota Retailers Association
SDRA Jerry Wheeler Scholarship Program: Applicant must enroll in a retail-related course of study. Examples of fields of study considered to be retail related include (but not limited to): Accounting, Agribusiness, Apparel Merchandising, Auto Mechanics, Automotive Technology, Business Administration, Business Management, Collision Repair, Computer Science, Commercial Banking, Culinary Arts, Diesel Mechanics, Hotel/Restaurant Management, Pharmacy, Photography, Sales/Marketing Management, and Tourism Industry Management.
Free Searchable Scholarship Websites