The Donald E. Young Center at BHSU offers more than exceptional fitness facilities. Along with the largest collection of exercise equipment in the region, a field house with a walking track, and an Aquatic Center with lap lanes, the Young Center provides personal exercise prescriptions with a certified trainer and classes taught by wellness students.
Built in 1990, the Young Center continues to be the hub of the Black Hills State University Campus. The only building of its kind in the immediate region, it is designed to serve the needs of the university and the greater Black Hills community.
The Donald E. Young Sports and Fitness Center is a 172,000 square foot sports and fitness complex. The Young Center accommodates simultaneous use of its recreational and educational components by students, university personnel, and the public.
The Donald E. Young Center houses:
- 8,000 sq. ft. fitness center
- 18,000 sq. ft. gymnasium with 2 college size basketball courts, 6 baskets and 3 college size volleyball courts with 3,800 seating capacity
- 58,000 sq. ft. field house with a 200 meter 6-lane track (8 laps = 1 mile), bat/golf cage and 3 tennis courts, and 6 basketball backstops
- Aquatic center with a 6-lane, 25 meter pool and a separate therapeutic pool
- Athletic fitness room, athletic training room, varsity and community locker rooms
- Dance floor and concessions
- ROTC headquarters
- Academic classrooms with audio and video capability and the Hall of Fame meeting room.
- Wireless Hot Spots
The Donald E. Young Center is equipped with several wireless hotspots for your convenience to access the web. They are located in the lobby area on 1st floor, the Hall of Fame room, and the hallway on the 2nd floor.
The Young Center is available for both BHSU students and community members who have a Young Center membership. Become a member today!
The Donald E. Young Sports and Fitness Center is available to rent. Have your Birthday Party at the Young Center. The $50 fee includes 1 hour of swimming and 2 hours of a party room for 10 participants. If you have more than 10 swimmers, the fee is $5 for each additional swimmer.
For more information about the Donald E. Young Sports and Fitness Center, contact Assistant Director Brock Anundson at 605.642.6882.