The 5,800 square foot Joy Center houses the University Advancement offices; provides a gathering area before games, concerts, and other University events; showcases the past, present and future of BHSU; provides space for prospective students and their parents; accommodates community events such as business meetings and receptions; and introduces community members to what the University is doing.
Ground-breaking on the site occurred in September 2012, and the Joy Center officially opened in November 2014. View photos of the construction process.
We appreciate the support from alumni and friends who are making this facility possible. More than $1.4 million in cash donations has been raised along with many in-kind donations. Contributions can be made in many ways including by purchasing an engraved brick that are displayed in the vestibule of the building.
The University does a great job of recruiting and welcoming new students. Past and current construction projects have created a terrific campus environment for current students, faculty and staff. We have turned our attention to providing a place for alumni, community members, and friends of the University.
- Many alumni live in the region, others occasionally pass through Spearfish on vacation. The Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center provides a place to welcome these visitors and their families. The Joy Center showcases the past, present, and future of the University.
- Located on campus, the Joy Center serves as a gathering area before games, concerts, plays, lectures, and other University events.
- Visitors to the campus have a convenient place to come for information.
- Business and community members find it as a place they can use for meetings, receptions, and other activities.
- Prospective students and their parents find it a welcoming and comfortable place to gather when visiting campus.
- Spearfish is a retirement destination for many people. The Joy Center provides a place they can come to and be introduced to all the University has to offer the community.