Since 1883 Black Hills State University has evolved from a frontier normal school to a comprehensive university. As the third largest university in South Dakota, it is time for BHSU to take the next step in providing a home for the thousands of alumni and friends of this University with the Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center.
The Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center will be approximately 5800 sq. ft. with approximately 4600 sq. ft. dedicated to the actual function of the building. The preliminary cost estimate is $1,159,330. Space in the building will be provided for the daily operations of University Advancement. There will be space for faculty, staff, alumni, business, and community to gather.
Why an Alumni Welcome Center?
The University does a great job of recruiting and welcoming new students as evidenced by our record enrollment. Past and current construction projects have created a terrific campus environment for current students, faculty and staff. We need to turn our attention to providing a place for alumni, community members, and friends of the University.
- Many alumni live in the region, others occasionally pass through Spearfish on vacation. The new Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center will be a place to welcome these visitors and their families. It will be a place that will showcase the past, present, and future of the University.
- Located on campus, the new Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center will serve as a gathering area before games, concerts, plays, lectures, and other University events.
- Visitors to the campus will have a convenient place to come for information.
Business and community members will find it as a place they can use for meetings, receptions, and other activities.
- Prospective students and their parents will find it a welcoming and comfortable place to gather when visiting campus.
- Spearfish is a retirement destination for many people. The Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center will be a place they can come to and be introduced to all the University has to offer the community.
What will happen at the
Alumni Welcome Center?
Top ten lists are in vogue so here is our attempt to provide more than ten things that will happen at your Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center.
- Parties that are fun and that people will want to attend.
- 50 year class reunions.
- Swarm Day Honor class gatherings.
- The University front door.
- A place to show your children and grandchildren about where you went to school and where they should go to school.
- A place to showcase what the University has to offer through various media and technology.
- A place for nervous parents and family to gather before games, concerts, and plays.
- A place for friends to gather.
- A private place for donors and alumni to meet with staff.
- The heart of Swarm Day activities for alumni, friends, and the community.
- The place to gather before the parade kicks off on Swarm Day.
- The donor wall to honor those who have and do support the University.
- A space for faculty and staff meetings and social events.
- Birthday parties, anniversaries, weddings, and community gatherings.
- Display area to showcase our history and celebrate the present.
- The Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center Gardens.
- Senior send off.
Will the Alumni Welcome Center
be just for alumni and donors?
Not at all.
- With its location and parking the Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center will be the front door for the whole campus.
- The facility will be used by community members, campus visitors, faculty and staff, as well as parents, alumni and donors.
- The Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center will provide a space for dinner functions, exhibits, and other special events.
- The Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center will be equipped with, wireless internet, site-to-site satellite conferencing, and the latest technology and communication equipment available. This will be available to campus visitors, faculty and staff, parents as well as alumni and donors.
- It will provide a space for community members to use and introduce them to everything the University has to offer.
How can you help?
Embrace the Past - Once brick at a time.
We are asking you to “Embrace the Past” and help us build the Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center. You can show your lasting support for this project by buying an engraved, pathway brick to be displayed on the patio. You may purchase one 4” x 8” brick with up to three lines and 17 characters per line or an 8” x 8” brick with up to three lines and 20 characters per line. Your donation will help construct the Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center. Learn more and order your brick today!
Joy (Proctor) Krautschun Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center Naming Opportunities
- Entertaining (Welcome Area) - $150,000
- Vice President Office - $40,000
- Call Center - $30,000
- Conference Room - $30,000
- Work Room - $25,000
- Gardens - $25,000
- Catering Kitchen - $10,000
- Support Offices, 4 - $10,000
- Directors Suite
- Technology Area
- Reception Area
- Entry Foyer
- Storage Room
- Mechanical Room
If you are interested in learning more about how you can help this project, contact Steve Meeker at 605.642.6385 or email Steve.Meeker@BHSU.edu