Since 1883 Black Hills State University has evolved from a frontier normal school to a comprehensive university. As the third largest university in South Dakota, it is time for BHSU to take the next step in providing a home for the thousands of alumni and friends of this University with the Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center.
The Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center will be approximately 5800 sq. ft. with approximately 4600 sq. ft. dedicated to the actual function of the building. The preliminary cost estimate is $1,159,330. Space in the building will be provided for the daily operations of University Advancement. There will be space for faculty, staff, alumni, business, and community to gather.
Why an Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center?
The University does a great job of recruiting and welcoming new students as evidenced by our record enrollment. Past and current construction projects have created a terrific campus environment for current students, faculty and staff. We need to turn our attention to providing a place for alumni, community members, and friends of the University.
- Many alumni live in the region, others occasionally pass through Spearfish on vacation. The new Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center will be a place to welcome these visitors and their families. It will be a place that will showcase the past, present, and future of the University.
- Located on campus, the new Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center will serve as a gathering area before games, concerts, plays, lectures, and other University events.
- Visitors to the campus will have a convenient place to come for information.
Business and community members will find it as a place they can use for meetings, receptions, and other activities.
- Prospective students and their parents will find it a welcoming and comfortable place to gather when visiting campus.
- Spearfish is a retirement destination for many people. The Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center will be a place they can come to and be introduced to all the University has to offer the community.
What will happen at the
Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center?
Top ten lists are in vogue so here is our attempt to provide more than ten things that will happen at your Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center.
- Parties that are fun and that people will want to attend.
- 50 year class reunions.
- Swarm Day Honor class gatherings.
- The University front door.
- A place to show your children and grandchildren about where you went to school and where they should go to school.
- A place to showcase what the University has to offer through various media and technology.
- A place for nervous parents and family to gather before games, concerts, and plays.
- A place for friends to gather.
- A private place for donors and alumni to meet with staff.
- The heart of Swarm Day activities for alumni, friends, and the community.
- The place to gather before the parade kicks off on Swarm Day.
- The donor wall to honor those who have and do support the University.
- A space for faculty and staff meetings and social events.
- Birthday parties, anniversaries, weddings, and community gatherings.
- Display area to showcase our history and celebrate the present.
- The Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center Gardens.
- Senior send off.
Will the Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center
be just for alumni and donors?
Not at all.
- With its location and parking the Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center will be the front door for the whole campus.
- The facility will be used by community members, campus visitors, faculty and staff, as well as parents, alumni and donors.
- The Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center will provide a space for dinner functions, exhibits, and other special events.
- The Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center will be equipped with, wireless internet, site-to-site satellite conferencing, and the latest technology and communication equipment available. This will be available to campus visitors, faculty and staff, parents as well as alumni and donors.
- It will provide a space for community members to use and introduce them to everything the University has to offer.
How can you help?
Embrace the Past - Once brick at a time.
We are asking you to “Embrace the Past” and help us build the Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center. You can show your lasting support for this project by buying an engraved, pathway brick to be displayed on the patio. You may purchase one 4” x 8” brick with up to three lines and 17 characters per line or an 8” x 8” brick with up to three lines and 20 characters per line. Your donation will help construct the Alumni/Foundation Welcome Center. Learn more and order your brick today!
Alumni-Foundation Welcome Center Naming Opportunities
- Welcome Center Building - $500,000
- Entertaining (Welcome Area) - $150,000
- Vice President Office - $40,000
- Call Center - $30,000
- Conference Room - $30,000
- Work Room - $25,000
- Gardens - $25,000
- Catering Kitchen - $10,000
- Support Offices, 4 - $10,000
- Directors Suite
- Technology Area
- Reception Area
- Entry Foyer
- Storage Room
- Mechanical Room
If you are interested in learning more about how you can help this project, contact Steve Meeker at 605.642.6385 or email Steve.Meeker@BHSU.edu