Many students are excited about beginning college, but are nervous about how well they will do in their classes and are concerned about how they will transition to the different aspects of college life. This concern is considerably higher for students who are the first generation in college (parents have not completed a bachelor’s degree), students who come from lower-income households, and students with disabilities. Nearly half of the students at BHSU fall into one of these categories, so don’t feel like you are alone! BHSU offers a program that is available at NO COST to 200 students that will provide a tremendous amount of personal assistance if you apply and are selected to participate.
Interested? Read on . . .
1) Question #1: Do you think you meet one or more of the eligibility criteria listed above?
2) Question #2: Do you have concerns about any aspects of college for which you would like to have additional assistance from professional advising staff?
3) Question #3: Do you think of yourself as an “average” student, but are motivated to put forth 100% effort to graduate from BHSU with the very best grades that you can earn?
If you have answered yes to these questions, then you would be a good match for the TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) program! Here is a short list of the types of assistance you can expect if you are selected as a TRIO SSS participant:
- Academic planning, advising, and assessment
- Identification of learning style and development of study strategies
- Individual and small group tutoring and study sessions
- Math and writing labs
- Peer mentoring
- Graduate school exploration
- Leadership development opportunities
For more information about the TRIO SSS program, which is funded through the U.S. Department of Education ($272,425 for 2013-14), visit our website at www.bhsu.edu/studentsupportservices