Upon successful completion of the Academic English Program, students will demonstrate the ability to:
1. Interpret textual details and academic terms.
2. Find , evaluate and cite secondary sources using MLA, APA, and Chicago style conventions in their writing composition.
3, Compose analytical, and persuasive papers in cogent and coherent prose.
4. Build knowledge of academic vocabulary and research skills
5. Deliver an effective oral presentation
6. Apply a range of critical, theoretical, and interdisciplinary approaches to a variety of texts,
7. Work effectively on a team project.
8. Use application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation to respond to academic texts.
9. Write using standard American English, including correct punctuation, grammar, and syntax
10. Identify key terms, academic vocabulary and idiomatic expressions used by professors and other class scholars.
11. Comprehend the effect of nonverbal cues and prosody features of speech on meaning in lectures and academic conversation.
12. Utilize technology to aid formal presentations.
13. Articulate competencies including choice and use of topic, supporting materials, organizational patter, language usage, presentation aids, and delivery.
14. Locate, evaluate, and utilize information to support claims and arguments in formal presentations.
English for Academic Purpose!
For students seeking admission to a college or university in the USA, the Academic English Program(AEP) provides you with the English language and academic Skills you need to accomplish your goal. Upon successful completion of the program you will receive an official transcript and certificate confirming that you have achieved the English Language proficiency required for admission at Black Hills State University.
Why Black Hills State University(BUSH)'s Academic English Program?
1/2 of tuition cost compared to other university's English program located in South Dakota.
Located in South Dakota, which came in as #6 in safety ranking among 50 states in the USA
Successful matriculation rate 99%
Small class, Individualized attention
Free one-on-one private tutoring opportunity
Featuring American culture/ outdoor/ Recreational class
Cross disciplinary listening activity
Friendship family program
Conversational partner program