Welcome! BHSU has many great things to offer you, as an international student, including a variety of academic programs and a beautiful and friendly environment! Our international office staff is here to help you though these steps, so please let us know if you need help. To apply as an international student, please follow these steps:
- International Student Application: Please submit our online application.
- Application Fee: $20 USD (undergraduate) / $35 USD (graduate)
- Official Transcripts:
English Language Proficiency Test Score:
- Must be in a sealed and stamped envelope, sent directly from the issuing institution, translated into English
- Should have a minimum high school GPA of 2.5, and/or university GPA of 2.0
- If you would like the possibility of your university credits transferred from a university outside the US, please obtain a course-by-course evaluation from WES or ECE to be sent to BHSU
- If you took the WAEC exam, please request your high school or WAEC to send your certificate directly to BHSU. You may mail your scratch card for confirmation of your results.
- TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language) score (Code 6042):
- PBT (Paper Based TOEFL) minimum 550
- or IBT (Internet Based TOEFL) minimum of 79
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) minimum score of 6.5
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English) minimum score of 53.
- TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) minimum score of 790
- ACT (American College Test) minimum score of 19 in English (Code 6042).
- SAT (Scholastic Achievement Test) minimum score of 500 on Critical Reading and 500 on Writing for a combined score of 1000 for both sections (not including Mathematics). (Code 3904).
Copy of passport
- Completed Official Statement of Finances documenting $16,900 for one academic year
- Bank statement or bank letter accompanying Official Statement of Finances with amount noted
- Both must be in original form, with notary’s signature and stamp witnessing guarantor’s signature on the Official Statement of Finances
Please send all application materials to:
Black Hills State University
Office of International Relations & Global Engagement
1200 University Street, Unit 9519
Spearfish, SD 57799-9519