Welcome! BHSU has many great things to offer you, as an international student, including a variety of academic programs and a beautiful and friendly environment! Our international office staff is here to help you though these steps, so please let us know if you need help. To apply as an international student, please follow these steps:
- Please submit our International Student Application.
Degree Student Application
Exchange/Study Abroad Student Application
Application Fee: $20 Undergraduate Fee / $35 Graduate Fee
- Must be in a sealed and stamped envelope, sent directly from the issuing institution, translated into English
- Should have a minimum high school GPA of 2.6, and/or university GPA of 2.0
- If you would like the possibility of your university credits transferred from a university outside the US, please obtain a course-by-course evaluation from WES or ECE to be sent to BHSU
- If you took the WAEC exam, please request your high school or WAEC to send your certificate directly to BHSU. You may mail your scratch card for confirmation of your results.
- Financial Responsibility:
Completed Official Statement of Finances documenting $17,000 for one academic year
Bank statement or bank letter accompanying Official Statement of Finances with amount noted
Both must be in original form, with notary’s signature and stamp witnessing guarantor’s signature on the Official Statement of Finances
- Copy of passport
Please send all application materials to:
Black Hills State University
Office of International Relations & Global Engagement
1200 University Street, Unit 9519
Spearfish, SD 57799-9519
English Language Proficiency Test Score:
We will not need a test score if you will be entering our Academic English Preparatory Program for the first semester. We will only need a test score if you would like to enter directly into regular coursework.
Test scores are not required if you are from a native English-speaking country, or if you have attended a college/university or high school in the United States for one year.
- TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language) score (Code 6042):
- PBT (Paper Based TOEFL) minimum 500
- or IBT (Internet Based TOEFL) minimum of 61
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) minimum score of 5.5
- TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) minimum score of 600
- SAT (Scholastic Achievement Test) minimum score of 370 on Critical Reading and 370 on Writing for a combined score of 740 for both sections (not including Mathematics). (Code 3904).