Are you searching for a rewarding, inspiring summer experience? If you are a Black Hills area student, check out Black Hills State University’s summer 2015 academic camps. By attending one of our camps, you will experience a slice of college life in a safe and fun atmosphere and be able to interact with BHSU’s outstanding faculty while also gaining valuable skills and making new friends.
BHSU Summer Academic Camps:
- Discovery Exploration Camp (previously Summer Exploration Institute)
The camp is designed to encourage creative and critical thinking skills in the familiar context of living in the Black Hills. The historical and contemporary links establish the importance of growth and expansion in reference to people, places and animals. Through discussions and hands on activities participants will view the Black Hills through a new perspective.
- June 22 - 25 (Grades K-2nd) | 9 a.m. - Noon | Cost: $80 | Scholarships are available. Contact Thomas.Hopewell@BHSU.edu at 605-642-1241
- June 22 - 25 (Grades K-2nd) | 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. | Cost: $80 | Scholarships are available. Contact Thomas.Hopewell@BHSU.edu at 605-642-1241
- June 22 - 25 (Grades 3rd-5th) ***Full*** Contact Thomas.Hopewell@BHSU.edu at 605-642-1241
- June 22 - 25 (Grades 6th-8th) | 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. | Cost: $100 | Scholarships are available. Contact Thomas.Hopewell@BHSU.edu at 605-642-1241
- Sting's Eco Explorers
Kids will become Eco Explorers, witnessing sustainability in action at BHSU. We will use the campus as a learning laboratory with age appropriate games and activities that highlight how the school intersects with science and nature. Kids will interact with the whole campus from the science labs to the vegetable garden and the underground tunnels. Wear closed toe shoes and bring a sack lunch. Light snacks will be provided.
Cost: $20 per child if unaccompanied. $2 per child if accompanied with a parent, teacher, or chaperone. One chaperone can bring multiple kids.
- July 21 (Ages 4 - 6) | 9:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. | Bring your own sack lunch.
- Unlocking the Mysteries of the Universe:
This camp is designed for 9th through 12th grade students interested in learning about how scientists attempt to answer the Big Questions about the universe, such as the nature of neutrinos and dark matter. Students will work with BHSU science faculty, learning to gather and interpret data related to a wide variety of physical and biological areas, and how to “see” that which appears to be invisible. Field trips to area lakes and the Sanford Research Lab are planned. Lunch is included. Space is limited to 15 student researchers.
- June 29-July 2 (Grades 9th-12th) | 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. | Lunch is included | Cost: $100 | Scholarships are available. Contact Thomas.Hopewell@BHSU.edu at 605-642-1241