New First-Year Students
The University Honors Program recommends applicants have an ACT score of 25 and a high school cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher. Application is still highly encouraged if students do not meet one or both of these guidelines but are interested in joining the program. The Honors Council reviews each application individually and takes into account the rigors of high school classes, leadership positions, and overall involvement in school, work, or the community.
If you have completed college credits to date, please contact Professor Kelly Kirk at Kelly.Kirk@BHSU.edu before applying.
To apply, please submit the following:
- A complete application (at the bottom of the page)
- A resume` that outlines advanced coursework (including college credits), leadership positions, extracurricular activities, and other involvement in school, work, and the community.
- An application essay. Please see the essay requirements below. Please send the resume`and essay in one document to Kelly.Kirk@BHSU.edu.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher; a letter from an employer can be substituted if you have been out of school for more than three years. This letter should be submitted separately via email to the Director of the University Honors Program, Professor Kelly Kirk. Letters addressed to Professor Kirk will also be accepted at University Honors Program, 1200 University St., Spearfish, SD, 57799.
The Application Essay
This essay is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your writing abilities and distinguish yourself in your own voice. Please upload the essay with your online application in a Word document or PDF file; be sure to include your full name, email, and address at the top of the page. The essay should be 250-450 words and should respond to one of the following prompts:
- In the University Honors Program, we not only embrace the geek in each of us, but celebrate it. Tell us about your inner geek.
- If you were to write an autobiography, what would we read on page 126?
- French novelist Anatole France wrote: "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don't." At this point in your life, what don't you know?
Remember, there are no right or wrong answers. Be yourself. Be sincere. Be as creative as you please.
Transfer into the program may be possible depending on the number of credits already completed or if a student is transferring from another Honors program.
Please contact Professor Kelly Kirk before applying: Kelly.Kirk@BHSU.edu or 605-642-6935.
Current BHSU Students
Current BHSU students with a 3.3 or higher GPA are eligible to apply for the competitive Research Scholar program. This track emphasizes undergraduate research and creative activity and requires completion of 6 credits of Honors colloquia (HON 301-304) and 3 credits of the capstone research and capstone defense. Students who complete this program graduate as Research Scholars. Limited spots are available each year.
- An application letter that introduces you to the committee, explains your interest in the program, and details your current research or creative activity interests
- An unofficial transcript (Webadvisor is acceptable)
- A writing sample from a course in your major or minor
- Contact information for a faculty sponsor (i.e. a faculty member who can speak to your academic excellence)
Please submit print materials to Professor Kelly Kirk's office at Jonas 125 or her mailbox #9003. Contact her with any questions: 605-642-6935 or Kelly.Kirk@BHSU.edu.
If you have not already applied at Black Hills State, you will need to apply through Admissions in addition to completing this form.