Project SECOND (Secondary Education Certification Online Delivery) is offered completely on-line as a Master of Science in Secondary Education. Project SECOND is a unique 12-month program for people with a four-year degree who want to teach in a high school or middle school. In one calendar year you can be fully certified and ready for your own classroom.
Printable Information Sheet
Who is eligible?
Individuals who have degrees from accredited colleges or universities that could lead to teaching in secondary content areas and have a grade point average (GPA) of 2.6 or higher are eligible. Students in the master’s degree program must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher in graduate courses.
Is Project SECOND right for you?
- work full time or live in rural areas and do not have easy access to a college campus
- have a high probability of obtaining teaching positions in their local area
- are able to complete a rigorous online one-year program with a cohort of their peers
How to Apply to Project SECOND
- Contact Liz Fayer, Project SECOND Coordinator, at 605.641.3941 or email Liz.Fayer@bhsu.edu. Students are encouraged to contact the coordinator with any questions or concerns throughout the application process.
- E-mail a copy of your unofficial transcripts with a request to evaluate them for eligibility to Micheline Nelson, Director of Field Experiences at BHSU, at Micheline.Nelson@bhsu.edu. Then have your official transcripts sent directly from the degree-awarding institution(s) to her at 1200 University Street, Unit 9038, Spearfish SD 57799.
- Once you are determined to be eligible, apply to BHSU Graduate School.
- Register for the Praxis Content Knowledge test indicated on your transcript evaluation. For more information on the Praxis exams, go to www.ets.org.
- Mail three professional letters of recommendation to the Project SECOND coordinator:
Dr. Liz Fayer, Project SECOND Coordinator
1200 University Unit 9004
Spearfish, SD 57799-9004
- Complete Application for Project SECOND
- Complete interview scheduled by the coordinator.
How to Move to Full Admission Once in the Program
- Complete Praxis content knowledge test with passing scores by August.
- Successfully complete the pre-professional coursework (i.e., EDFN 595, ED 622) with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Complete the application packet for admission to the Professional Teacher Preparation Program. The form specific to Project SECOND will be mailed to you from the BHSU Office of Field Experiences.