"Tourism For All - Promoting Universal Access"
About the Exhibit
The Black Hills State University and the South Dakota Department of Tourism invites you to participate in a contest/exhibition celebrating the diversity and importance of the tourism industry in South Dakota. All South Dakota students at universities, colleges and high schools are eligible to submit work and there are no entry fees. We are seeking original photographs completed within the last two years that celebrate all that makes South Dakota a special place to live, work, and most importantly, to visit. In addition, this year we have added the category, “Promoting Universal Access.” To be considered for this award photographs need to demonstrate how SD is accessible to all.
Chad Coppess, senior photographer for the SD Department of Tourism, will be judging the contest. Chad Coppess has been the Senior Photographer for the South Dakota Department of Tourism since 1993. He travels the state making photographs of festivals, historic sites, landscapes, wildlife, visitor attractions, etc. His photographs have appeared in many publications including National Geographic Traveler, books on the rock band KISS, exhibited at the National Museum of Wildlife Art, and across the worldwide web.
How to Submit
- Submissions can be made at the BHSU Call for Entries site at www.bhsu.edu/PhotoContest
- An artist may submit up to three (3) photographs
- Please submit high-resolution images of works to be considered for exhibit. (High
Resolution: 300 ppi .jpeg; maximum 2MB file size per image).
- Images should be named LastName_FirstName_Title (i.e. rawlings_jerry_SturgisRally).
- Please save in the correct horizontal or vertical orientation for viewing.
- Only submit images of actual work to be considered for the exhibition.
- Please include for each entry: Title, Medium, Size, Year Created, and Educational Institution. – Also include current mailing address, email and phone number
- In addition, please include a short explanation as to why you feel that your photograph captures the theme of “Tourism For All – Promoting Universal Accessibility”
- This information can be included in the body of your email.
Awards will be given for First, Second, Third, Promoting Universal Access, and Peoples Choice.
- First Place: Full Scholarship to The Black Hills Photo Shootout ($500 value) and $350
- Second Place: $200.
- Third Place: $150.
- Peoples Choice: $300. (Votes for this award must be submitted by October 4, 2016)
- Special Category – Promoting Universal Access: $150
Accepted works must be available from September 30 – December 5, 2016 and may not
be removed before the end of the exhibit.
The application for entry presupposes the right for Black Hills State University and the SD Department of Tourism to photograph or use accepted
works for marketing and publicity purposes. Applicants are not guaranteed that accepted works would be utilized.
- Artist is responsible for insuring and shipping or delivering works to Black Hills State University. Artists should plan to pick up works at the end of the exhibition or include a pre-paid, self-addressed mailing label.
- All photographs must be prepared for hanging with screw eyes or d-rings with wire
- Saw tooth hangers, frameless clips, plastic frames and shrink-wrapping are not
- All work MUST be matted and framed. Black metal or black wood frames, and white or cream colored mats are required to ensure consistency of the exhibition.
- Accepted work not accurately depicted by submitted images may be rejected.
- BHSU and the SD Department of Tourism assume no liability for any work that may be damaged or stolen during the course of the exhibition.
- Submission Deadline: Friday, September 16, 2016.
- Artists will be notified via email on Tuesday, September 13.
- Accepted works must be delivered to BHSU Photography Department from September 30, 2016 to October 4, 2016
Send packages to:
Black Hills State University
Attn: Jerry Rawlings
1200 University St.
Spearfish SD 57799
- Voting for Peoples Choice Award ends October 4, 2016, at midnight
- Exhibit Opens Wednesday, October 5, 2016.
- Opening Reception Wednesday, October 5 | 5-7pm.
- Exhibits Closes December 5, 2016
- Works will be available for pick up starting December 6, 2016. Work must be picked up no later than December 16th. If BHSU is shipping the work you must include a pre-paid, self-addressed mailing label. Work not picked up will become the property of Black Hills State University.
For further information visit www.bhsu.edu/PhotoContest or contact Jerry Rawlings at Jerry.Rawlings@bhsu.edu