Black Hills State University hosts Sting in the Spring, a week-long event celebrating the end of the semester, April 17-22. The week’s activities are organized by the BHSU Jacket Pack in collaboration with other student and community organizations.
Black Hills State University students invite the community to campus to celebrate Sting in the Spring April 17-22. Many events are planned including a Festival on the Green April 20, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Earth Day, and an International Food Festival.
Wyatt Osthus, president of Jacket Pack at BHSU, says the purpose of Sting in the Spring is to enjoy the final days of spring semester and help students get excited for the following school year.
“Our largest community driven event is definitely the Festival on the Green. That’s our largest event and is the culmination of the entire week,” says Osthus.
The community is welcome to attend the Festival on the Green April 20, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. where the campus green will be transformed into a carnival atmosphere with games and booths. Other events open to the community include the Mentalist performance April 19, the Will Lantis Yellow Jacket Stampede Rodeo April 21-22 at Seven Down Arena and the Earth Day 5k April 21.
During Sting in the Spring, students can look forward to the second annual bonfire in the Three Peaks recreation area behind the Crow Peak Residence Hall and a bicycle tree tour around campus.
“As far as new things for Sting in the Spring this year, we have added life size game night to the roster of events. We are really excited for students and the community to see what we have planned and we are really proud of all the work we have put in so far and will continue to put in to make Sting in the Spring a great week of events,” says Osthus.
Sting in the Spring is organized by the Jacket Pack in collaboration with other BHSU student organizations and the community. Jacket Pack is a student organization at BHSU created with a mission to represent BHSU student pride, involve the community and alumni in university affairs, focus on retention, and support Yellow Jacket school spirit.
*Events open to the public.
Sting in Spring 2017 events:
Monday, April 17:
· Bonfire, 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., Crow Peak Recreation Area (Co-Sponsored by the BHSU Swarm Days Committee)
Tuesday, April 18:
· Life-Size Game Night, 7p.m. to 9 p.m., Donald E. Young Center
Wednesday, April 19:
· *Bicycle Tree Tour, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., meet at the Wind Turbine in front of the David B. Miller Yellow Jacket Student Union
· *Mentalist Sean Bott, 7 p.m., Woodburn Theatre (Co-Sponsored with Campus Activities Board)
Thursday, April 20:
· *Festival on the Green, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Campus Green
· Dance with Scratch and Bang, 8 p.m. to 11 p.m., Club Buzz (Co-Sponsored with Campus Activities Board)
Friday, April 21
· *International Food Festival, 10:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., The Hive in the David B. Miller Yellow Jacket Student Union
· Rec Sports Field Day, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Donald E. Young Center
· *Will Lantis Yellow Jacket Stampede Rodeo, 7 p.m., Seven Down Arena
Saturday, April 22
· *Earth Day 5k, 11 a.m., Crow Peak Residence Hall ($15 entry fee for the community and $10 for students)
· *Will Lantis Yellow Jacket Stampede Rodeo, 1 p.m. and 7 p.m., Seven Down Arena
For more information about Sting in the Spring events, contact Osthus at Wyatt.Osthus@yellowjackets.BHSU.edu or contact Whitney Bischoff, advisor for Jacket Pack, at Whitney.Bischoff@BHSU.edu