|Black Hills State University will host an open house at the Donald E. Young Sports and Fitness Center Saturday, Feb. 7 from 2-4 p.m. to showcase the fitness facility.
Black Hills State University will host an open house at the Donald E. Young Sports and Fitness Center Saturday, Feb. 7 from 2-4 p.m. to showcase the fitness facility.
The Young Center has a variety of fitness classes, exercise facilities, and the largest collection of fitness equipment in the region. The center also features a field house with a six-lane indoor track, six basketball hoops, three tennis courts, and a batting cage.
For people looking for a little extra assistance with their workout, the Young Center provides personal exercise prescriptions with a certified trainer and classes taught by wellness students. The following classes are being taught Monday-Friday at 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. are:
- Spin class-stationary cycle class to improve cardiovascular function
- TBT (Xertube w/ Abs)-class to improve muscle tone, strength and balance
- Stability ball/dual grip exercise ball-class to improve muscle tone, strength and balance
- Circuit training-class to improve muscle tone, strength, and balance
Each class runs for 30 minutes and individuals can sign up the morning of the class by signing the designated sign-up board. Classes are open to all fitness center members and enrolled students at no additional charge. Non-members are charged $ 3 to a take class.
The aquatic center offers a six-lane 25 meter pool, and a therapeutic pool. Swimming lessons are offered starting Jan. 27 and run through March 17. The pool is open seven days a week with the following schedule:
- 6 a.m. - 8 a.m. Mon. – Fri. Lap Swim
- 12 p.m. - 1 p.m. Daily Lap Swim
- 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Mon. – Fri. Rec/Lap
- 1 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. Sat. and Sun. Rec/Lap
The state-of-the-art fitness center includes over 40 cardiovascular pieces of equipment including:
- 6 Ellipticals, 6 Treadmills, 7 Spin bikes
- 4 Stairmaster Steppers
- 16 piece upper and lower body cabled weight machines
- Abdominal exercise area with stability balls, dual grip weight balls, and body bars
- 7 piece hammer strength plate loaded equipment
- Free weight benches
- Dumb bells
- Fixed weight curl bars
- Power racks, and more...
The 18,000 square foot gymnasium in the Donald E. Young Center is a great recreational place for students and community members, according to Jhett Albers, athletic director at BHSU. With three college size volleyball courts, two college size basketball courts, and six basketball baskets, the gymnasium provides recreational opportunities for diverse users.
Yearly membership fees range from $18 to $43 a month. Area businesses receive a 15 percent discount when five or more employees purchase an annual Young Center membership.
The Young Center is open from 5 a.m. - 9 p.m. weekdays (8 p.m. on Fridays) and 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. on weekends 360 days a year. The facility only closes on New Year’s Day, Easter, July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
For additional information, contact Robert DiBonto, fitness director at Young Center, or call 642-6314.