Black Hills State University Transforms lives
- 4,464 students
- General enrollment facts
- More than 30% of BHSU students are adult learners.
- BHSU has over 1,100 students enrolled in Rapid City.
- Nearly 1 in 4 students at BHSU is a first generation college student.
- BHSU has the highest percentage (5%) of American Indian students of the six universities in the South Dakota Board of Regents system.
- BHSU is the third largest university in the state.
- Five largest majors: Business Administration, Elementary Education, Biology, Psychology,
- Students come to BHSU from:
- 66 of 66 South Dakota counties
- 44 states
- 29 foreign countries
- Graduates from BHSU:
- During the past 4 years, the number of individuals completing BHSU degrees has increased by 35%.
- 83% of BHSU graduates remained in South Dakota last year.
- 1 in 3 enrolls in a graduate degree program.
- Degrees conferred (2009-2010)
- Associate of Science - 26
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts
- College of Liberal Arts 215
- College of Business & Natural Sciences 120
- College of Education and Behavioral Sciences 120
- Master of Science 104
BHSU generates approximately $59.8 million a year in total economic impact to South Dakota in the short-run, and
approximately $190.6 million a year in the long run.
BHSU impacts the State Economy by creating economic opportunity in the State of South Dakota.
- BHSU directly supports 415.7 full-time jobs which provide $24.5 million in salaries and benefits to South Dakota employees.
- BHSU generates $10.5 million in direct economic impact through day-to-day operations and consumption of goods and services.
- BHSU students inject approximately
$17.4 million into the South Dakota economy through their day-to-day living expenses.
This amount is in addition to $24 million in tuition and fees.
- Local Impact:
- Students at BHSU contribute $1.1 million in Spearfish sales tax.
- Visitors to BHSU (athletics, performances and other special events) bring more than $4.5 million to the economy through off-campus spending.
- FY12 Budget - 13 percent of BHSU’s budget comes from the State general fund. State funding of South Dakota public higher education dropped from 58% to 45% in 10 years.
- General Fund - 13.34% - $6,476,547
- Tuition & Fees - 34.47% - $16,736,867
- Federal Restricted - 18.34% - $8,902,485
- Other - 28.06% - $13,620,352
- Room & Board - 5.79% - $2,808,313
- Securing and allocating fiscal resources
- Grant funding has increased 500% over the last decade as, each year, BHSU faculty members bring new interests and energy to the campus and community.
- BHSU has earned nearly $43 million in grant funding in the last 10 years.
BHSU takes an active role in SURF and Research:
- Just 17 miles from the Sanford Underground Research Facility (SURF) at Homestake, BHSU is uniquely located to maximize research opportunities.
- Over 50 BHSU faculty, staff, and students are involved in SURF initiatives.
- BHSU’s involvement with SURF has provided over $3.5 million in grant funding the last three years and significant collaborations with other researchers from across the nation and world.
Learn more about BHSU's involvement at SURF.
- Research Opportunities:
- Students have the opportunity to conduct research in the sciences, business, political science, and education. Students are also actively involved in history, technology, mass communication and photography projects.
- BHSU emphasizes experiential learning including research, service learning, professional development, employment, internships, and campus organizations.
- BHSU has had more than 100 federally and privately funded undergraduate research fellowships in the last decade.
BHSU students, faculty, and staff are actively involved in the local community, recording over 10,000 hours of service each year.
- Assisting with regional Special Olympics
- Participating in the After School Challenge program and
the Teammates program
- Volunteering at the Northern Hills Humane Society
- Serving as referees for youth basketball tournaments
- Raising funds for “Honor Flight”
- Raising money to benefit cancer research
- Sharing expertise to community groups through presentations
- Serving as consultants for businesses and organizations
- Assisting with strategic planning for non-profit agencies
- Hosting high school music contests and concerts
- Hosting and serving as judges for local science fairs
- Providing career exploration workshops for area schools
- Presenting music and theatre performances on campus as well as participating in community performances
Download a Printable Key Points of Information
BHSU Fight Song
Here’s to you, Black Hills Jackets
and the colors green and gold.
You’re the pride of every student here.
We are behind you firm and bold.
And when we students get together,
there’s nothing that we cannot do
for Dear Old B‐H‐S‐U.
Black Hills Jackets
Here’s to you! Here’s to you!
Go Beat (name of opponent)
Listen to the BHSU Fight Song.