Spectacular settings have a way of inspiring amazing opportunities, and when your surroundings have as much history, intrigue and majesty as the Black Hills of South Dakota …there’s no telling just how far your education will take you.
Black Hills State University is a masters-level state university with 4,500 students. The campus leads the region in sustainability efforts and maintains top academic programs in business (AACSB), exercise science, natural sciences, social sciences, the arts, mass communication, health sciences and education.
The university, founded in 1883, is located in the northern Black Hills, a region abundant with outdoor activity and culture. Spearfish, S.D., is recognized as one of the top 10 most livable small town in the USA and has also been recognized nationally for outdoor recreational opportunities.
A second location, BHSU-RC, was recently established in Rapid City, the state’s second largest city.
BHSU, a member of NCAA Division II athletics, offers 14 sports. BHSU has a legacy of champion rodeo teams.
- ENROLLMENT: 4,395
- CAMPUS: 123 acres
- MASCOT: Yellow Jacket (Sting)
- SCHOOL COLORS: Green & Gold
- FACULTY WITH TERMINAL DEGREE: 69%
- HOUSING: 5 Residence Halls (All Co-ed), 8-Building Apartment Complex
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMS: 75 bachelor, associate and master degree programs and 20 pre-professional programs
- STUDENT BODY: 84% from South Dakota from all of the 66 South Dakota counties, 16% from 44 other states and 29 countries
- FINANCIAL AID: 78% of BHSU students receive assistance
- AFFILIATION: 4-year South Dakota public liberal arts university
- ACCREDITATIONS: Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, National Association of Schools of Music, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, South Dakota Department of Education and Cultural Affairs, Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board